The Appling Courthouse was built in 1791, just one year after Columbia County’s creation, in 1790. The Courthouse was named after William Appling, who owned and donated the land which a new courthouse was constructed. The courthouse was completed in 1812. This structure became the core of a new courthouse built in 1856. Although due to age, this courthouse has gone through renovations and repairs, the character including the original solid wood doors, still exists today.